💥 Discover this insightful post from Business News 📖
📂 **Category**:
✅ **What You’ll Learn**:
US Secretary of Health and Human Services Robert F. Kennedy Jr. attends a news conference at the White House in Washington, DC, US, January 7, 2026.
Kevin Lamarque | Reuters
New federal dietary recommendations have drawn mixed reactions from the beleaguered restaurant industry, as changing guidelines could encourage Americans to eat out less or choose from a smaller selection of restaurants when they leave home.
The Departments of Health and Human Services and Agriculture unveiled the nutrition guidelines on Wednesday. The recommendations, which are updated every five years, call for increasing consumption of protein and full-fat dairy products and reducing intake of processed foods and sugary drinks.
The guidelines are primarily a public health tool for federal agencies, health care providers, and nutrition experts, so it is unclear how much impact they have on individual consumer choices. Although the recommendations focus largely on at-home dining, they touch only slightly on the restaurant industry as well.
“When eating out, choose nutrient-dense options,” the guidelines advise.
While the recommendations could discourage Americans from spending at restaurants — especially at a time when high inflation has limited trips to eat out — some pockets of the industry have had a positive reaction to the changes. The changes could give a particular boost to struggling casual chains such as… Sweet green and Chipotlewhich has long promoted the kind of natural ingredients championed by Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s “Make America Healthy Again” movement.
A lobbying executive representing restaurant companies, whose organization participated in meetings with the White House on the new guidelines, said the outcome could have been “much worse” for the sector. The end result was better for the industry than the guidance proposed earlier in 2025, said the person, who declined to be named because his organization was engaged in private discussions.
However, the executive said they were still concerned that the guidelines might encourage Americans to eat at home when diners have more affordable options for incorporating those foods into restaurants. This inclusion could also ruffle feathers among restaurant chains and franchisees.
Despite these potential concerns by some, industry lobby group the National Restaurant Association supported the new guidelines.
“Now, more than ever, restaurant operators offer a wide range of options, allowing consumers to choose what suits their dietary needs, preferences and lifestyles,” Sean Kennedy, a spokesperson for the National Restaurant Association, said in a statement to CNBC. “We congratulate Secretary Kennedy and the Trump administration on issuing the new guidelines and look forward to continued collaboration with policymakers to ensure nutrition guidelines remain practical, flexible, and supportive of access and innovation.”
The restaurant franchise lobby group, the International Franchise Association, called the approach “meticulous” and said it could limit the number of price increases restaurants have to make.
“Fortunately, a more nuanced approach to these guidelines helps ensure our members do not have to raise prices, and that consumers can continue to make their own choices,” the group said. “Any future regulations or guidance must take potential cost increases into account, as restaurant owners already face numerous regulatory burdens and supply chain challenges, which often disproportionately impact small business owners, such as franchisees, and, ultimately, American consumers.”
How quickly a casual can benefit
Some of the most supportive reactions came from chains that were broken in 2025, including Chipotle and Sweet green. Both informal names saw declines from younger consumers who continue to struggle in a K-shaped economy, where spending is more concentrated among higher earners.
Sweetgreen, which was the biggest restaurant sector laggard last year with its shares down nearly 80%, welcomed the new guidance.
“We keep ultra-processed ingredients and added sugars out of our restaurants, source them transparently from partners we know and trust, and cook our food from scratch. That’s why we’re excited to see the new food pyramid clearly focused on whole, real, unprocessed foods,” a spokesperson told CNBC in a statement.
Sweetgreen founder and CEO Jonathan Neiman wrote on
Chipotle will debut its high-protein menu on Tuesday, Dec. 23, with items ranging from 15 to 81 grams of protein per item.
Source: Chipotle Mexican Grill
Likewise, Chipotle, which recently rolled out a high-protein, GLP-1-friendly menu, told CNBC that it has already met similar nutritional guidelines.
“Our real ingredients list makes it easy to follow new dietary guidelines that prioritize high-quality protein, healthy fats, fruits, vegetables and whole grains — while limiting highly processed foods and refined carbohydrates,” Chipotle spokeswoman Lori Shallow said in a statement. “With real food made with wholesome ingredients — no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives — Chipotle offers options that fit a balanced, modern style of eating.”
The company’s stock is down nearly 40% in 2025, but some Wall Street analysts have pointed to it as a potential winner in the new GLP-1 landscape, as drug users often opt for smaller portions with more protein.
Kennedy led the MAHA platform, advocating a whole-foods diet to prevent chronic disease. At times, his beliefs, such as his advocacy of beef tallow and encouraging more red meat in diets, have clashed with public health experts and industry players, such as McDonald’s.
Kennedy’s criticism of processed foods has put fast food chains on the defensive, even though President Donald Trump is an outspoken and loyal fan, especially McDonald’s.
⚡ **What’s your take?**
Share your thoughts in the comments below!
#️⃣ **#RFK #Jr.s #dietary #guidelines #Chipotle #Sweetgreen**
🕒 **Posted on**: 1767895040
🌟 **Want more?** Click here for more info! 🌟
