The FCC is investigating ABC’s “The View” over the “equal time” rule, FCC chairman says.

✨ Discover this insightful post from PBS NewsHour – Politics 📖

📂 **Category**: abc,Donald Trump news,federal communications commission,Stephen Colbert,The View,Vote 2026

💡 **What You’ll Learn**:

The Federal Communications Commission is investigating ABC’s “The View” over possible violations of a requirement that broadcast stations give equal time to political candidates when they appear on the air, according to the head of the agency that oversees America’s radio airwaves.

“The FCC has an ongoing enforcement action on that,” FCC Chairman Brendan Carr told reporters after the agency’s meeting on Wednesday, in response to a question about whether there was an investigation into the daytime series for possible violations of the “equal time” rule. “We take a look at that.”

He watches: What the Texas primaries could reveal about the midterms

James Tallarico, the Democratic Senate candidate in Texas, appeared on “The View” on February 2. US Rep. Jasmine Crockett, who is running against Tallarico for the nomination, also participated in the program.

The Trump administration has taken steps to clamp down on talk shows, which the Federal Communications Commission has indicated may be “driven by partisan purposes.” Earlier in the week, late-night host Stephen Colbert said CBS executives had canceled Tallarico’s appearance on his show over concerns it would conflict with equal time provisions.

The FCC issued new guidance in January to late-night and daytime hosts that they need to give political candidates equal time. There are exceptions to this rule, including “bona fide” newscasts and interview programs and live event coverage or documentaries. Carr raised questions about the talk show’s exemption and whether it should continue.

Read more: What is the “equal time” rule that Colbert says prompted CBS to pull his interview with Tallarico?

“No evidence has been provided to the FCC that the interview segment of any late-night or daytime television talk show currently on the air would qualify for the real news exemption,” according to the agency’s public notice last month.

Carr, a Trump appointee, suggested last year that an investigation into “The View,” whose hosts have often criticized the Republican president, might be “useful.”

The FCC did not respond to a message seeking comment on “The View” or Colbert’s show.

He watches: After Colbert says CBS interview blocked, FCC commissioner considers ‘equal time’

On Wednesday, Carr said that watching the fallout from Colbert’s characterization of what happened with Talarico was “probably one of the most enjoyable days I’ve had on the job,” adding that the candidate had “exploited” the media attention “for the purpose of apparently raising money and getting clicks.”

The equal time requirement only applies to broadcasts, not live broadcasts or Internet programmes. Colbert later posted Talarico’s interview to YouTube, where it has been viewed more than 7.5 million times — several times what the CBS comedy draws each night.

Tallarico reported that he raised $2.5 million in campaign donations in the 24 hours following Colbert’s interview.

A spokesperson for “The View” did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment Thursday.

CBS says Colbert obtained “legal guidance” that airing the interview with Tallarico could trigger the equal time rule. While Carr said in January that he was considering getting rid of the exemption for late-night talk shows, “CBS has generously done that for him,” Colbert said on his show Tuesday night.

A free press is the cornerstone of a healthy democracy.

Support trustworthy journalism and civil dialogue.


💬 **What’s your take?**
Share your thoughts in the comments below!

#️⃣ **#FCC #investigating #ABCs #View #equal #time #rule #FCC #chairman**

🕒 **Posted on**: 1771529657

🌟 **Want more?** Click here for more info! 🌟

By

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *